Employment Consultant – Job Description
- 37.5 hours per week, £28,000 – £32,000 p.a.
- Currently remote, with the option of continuing up to 3 days working remotely in the long-term (and 2 days per week in our offices near Waterloo)
- Flexible working hours subject to arrangement
We are looking for an experienced Employment Consultant with an extensive knowledge of working with care-experienced young people (16-24) to guide and support young people in their professional development to help them reach their full potential.
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate a real passion for making a difference to the lives of our clients. They will possess the ability to build trusting relationships quickly, to broaden horizons, and encourage young people to be aspirational. They will have previous experience of designing and delivering employment based group activities and will be experts in working on a 1-2-1 basis with a diverse client group. They will be adept at a wide range of career engagement activity and able to skilfully communicate the benefits of each career to their clients. This role will also require resilience, a belief that there is always a way forward and an innovative approach to youth engagement.
What we can promise at Drive Forward is an environment where innovation is valued and where staff have a real opportunity to shape services. We also promote an excellent work life balance and extensive training for all staff to ensure that our clients receive the best support.
The Employment Consultant will be responsible for managing a caseload of clients and providing specialist support to the programme. The target group for the programme is 16 – 26 year old care-experienced young people who are interested in mapping out their futures and gaining sustainable, fulfilling employment.
The post holder will assess the needs of each participant, will work with the young person to develop a personal action plan and encourage them to participate in signposted internal and external opportunities and will assist the young person into suitable work, education or training.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To provide individual Information Advice and Guidance (IAG) support to young people on the programme.
- To identify opportunities for work that match participants’ interests and abilities.
- Support the delivery of various Drive Forward Programmes.
- To assist young people in their search for employment in outreach locations.
- To maintain a client-centred approach and be sensitive to the needs of a diverse client group.
- To compile and maintain accurate records and collect monitoring data for the project.
- To support delivery of milestones and outcomes relating to those agreed with our partners.
- To provide progress information to Directors as required.
- To attend and participate effectively in internal and external meetings.
- To adhere to Drive Forward Foundation’s equalities, health and safety and all other policies.
- To undertake any such other duties as are commensurate with the nature of the job to meet the needs of the charity.
Experience, Qualifications and Skills:
1. Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
2. At least two years of experience working with vulnerable young people.
3. Resilient, positive and comfortable working effectively with complexity.
4. Experience in delivering training sessions to young people.
5. A good understanding of safeguarding responsibilities and risk assessment.
6. Ability to work on own initiative as well as collaboratively with the rest of the team
7. Empathetic, engaging and innovative – the ability to present and to be motivational.
8. Flexible approach yet able to maintain clear boundaries with clients once contracted.
9. Strong organisational, time-keeping and record keeping skills.
10. Good IT skills required including recording of database entries.
11. Ability to effectively communicate and relate to young people with varying levels of educational attainment, attention spans and motivation.
We support anonymous recruitment, for those interested in that route please apply via Reed where you can find more detailed information about the recruitment process. Otherwise you can email Riona directly at email@example.com. Please make sure that you state all relevant experience, skills, and personal motivations in your CV and covering letter (ca. 500 words).
Examples of previous work are also welcome!
As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. We highly encourage BAME candidates to apply as approximately 70% of our clients are from a BAME background.